Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BULLDOG Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RARWOOD

Structural
Jun 17, 2004
US
Does anyone know if BULLDOG Connectors, or a similar product, are still available in the US? The connector I am looking for is a light gauge connector with teeth on one side. It is installed by using a through bolt.

It is like a clamping plate, but I believe it only has teeth on one side.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SlideRuleERa-Thanks.

I did learn yesterday that they are no longer available in Australia. I found that out on a web site called Harry Hardwood and Sally Softwood. The HH & SS website looked interesting, so I will have to spend some time latter going through it.

The application I am looking at is using some type of connector with 1/2" dia. anchor bolts to increase the lateral resistance of the foundation plate on top of basement walls.

It appears that the advisory committee for the Minnesota State Building code is looking at the above topic. I received a call yesterday from some one on the commitee asking me about shear plate cutters.

Apparently what is being proposed is the use of a 2" dia. washer with the anchor bolt. The anchor bolt would then be tighten until the washer crushes into the wood.

The person I talked to thought that the washer would not do much to increase the lateral strength. At the same time he thought it would be difficut to tighten the bolt inorder to embed the washer to the depth being considered.

He was exploring the use of shear plates, and the cost of the dapping tool. Based on the information I obtained from my company, the tools are about $400 and are available from Cleveland Steel.

The use of shear plates would appear to be a time consuming and an expensive solution. We talked about possibly using shear plates instead of a 2" washer crushing it into the wood instead of doing the dap.

Since I'm not sure how well that would work and because I think the use of shear plates would not be inexpensive, I was trying find a connector like the BullDog.

I think that Simpson Strong-Tie makes a product to address your concern. It is a rectangular plate with a hole in the middle for the anchor bolt, and then four screws (one at each corner) to screw down to the sill plate. It is often used to remedy over-drilled holes for the anchor bolt.

HerberPE

That would be a possible solution, and one I like better than the idea of crushing a washer into the wood plate.

From past experience I don't think the State of Minnesota would require a Simpson type plate if it was very expensive.

I would guess the Simpson plate would be expensive because I think they only sell it with the screws, and I think both the plate and screws would be required to be hot dip galvanized.

The steel plate probably could be nailed instead of screwed to the wood plate. The use of nails would probably be less expensive. However the nails would not have the capacity of the screws.

If you don't have any objections I will follow up with Simpson and mention the use of a Simpson type plate to some one at the State of Minesota, Building Codes & Standards Division.

Also since the company I work for sells Simpson products, I will try to find out what the retail costs would be for a Simpson plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back