Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buried Electrical Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is anyone aware of any railway requirements for running electrical cables under a rail bed?

Is there a requirement for encasing in steel or a minimum amount of ballast over? or something of that 'ilk'? Rail bed is in Canada.

Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Will the railroad have rules? Oh, yes.

I would first check for compliance with Canadian electrical code for minimum cover and conduit requirements. Then you will to get any additional requirements from the specific railroad that owns the ROW. They all have their own. You're going to need all kinds of paperwork to cross a railroad right-of-way. I hope no one is in a hurry.

David Castor

I'd get the crossing requirements from the railroad this track connects with. Use those requirements and be glad you don't have to go through the permit process.

Thanks...

I've picked up a copy of CSA C22.3 #7 and it has the requirements under the Canadian electrical code. I've sent a copy of the relevant parts to the client for confirmation that there are no additional requirements... As I've learned, other rail groups have their own requirements that may be over and above C22.3 and the approval process may not be as easy.

thanks, gentlemen...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back