Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burner Tube Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreEng2014

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2014
CA
Hello,

I've been trying to solve this problem but I've been running in circles it seems.

There is a fire tube burning methane at 1500°C to heat up heavy oil inside of a 1000bbl tank.

If a trucker is pulling the oil out of the tank at the specified rate, say 1.5 m^3/min, we need to know how long it would take for the fire tube to cool down to 580°C (Autoignition temp of the gasses inside the tanks.

We need to know when the fire tube would need to shut off, so it has enough time to cool before it gets exposed to the volatile gasses. We don't know the temperature of the surface of the outside of the firetube where it is in contact with the oil, or even how to determine the heat transfer coefficients of the gasses inside of the tube, or what to use for oil.

We are assuming the gasses are not flowing inside the tube, while the oil is flowing due to forced convection on the outside of the tube.

The tube is 10" sch 40 carbon steel.

Please help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you put oil instead of water in the shell of a firetube boiler and your flame temperature is 1500 dC, you are bound to sag the furnace and most of the tubes and probably melt them and have a big catastrophe. Do the sensible thing and heat up the water and heat up your oil thru a heat exchanger connected to the boiler. By the way I doubt that you will get 1500dC and most likely 1500 dF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back