Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning coolant hole into a carbide cutting tool to join existing hole. Arching and deformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigj4

Industrial
Aug 6, 2014
US
I have a problem joining coolant holes in carbide using a copper electrode around 1mm in diameter. As the hole is being drilled in the perimeter of the tool the arch cuts the hole while feeding in but also arches around the electrode and damaged the cutting edge. Grounding is good, coolant is clean but he problem just appeared out of no ware.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=00f62dff-b918-4fa4-86f8-bebe58dcb6c4&file=arching.docx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please clean off the scale around your hole, and give us a look at that.

If the grounding is good and your coolant is clean, check for adequate flush.

Otherwise, if you have made this operation successfully before, I would suspect a flakey power control.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back