Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BURST PRESSURE COPPER TUBING

Status
Not open for further replies.

valmeidan

Aerospace
Dec 13, 2011
CA
So I am doing a solidworks simulation on a copper tube with brazed flat endcaps. I applied an internal pressure of 350 psi, and an internal and external temperature of about 80 degrees C. The tubing is 1"OD X .05" Wall, and for the simulation the length is 11". The yield strength of the copper is around 260 MPA. The tubing appears to exceed yield strength around 350, but appears to be ok at 320psi. Now the thing is when I go online to just look up burst pressure of copper tubing I apply barlows formula and i am getting a bursting pressure of 35psi. So now I am confused as to what this tube can handle. I have also found a copper ratings chart which shows 1" tube with .05" wall saying that the working pressure is 420psi.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general you only burst tubing when you reach the UTS of the material.
However in materials with very low yield strength:UTS ratio (and low work hardening) you will get a lot of distortion before they burst.
And in some cases the distortion will result in localized failures.

You also have to be careful about using max OD and min wall in the calculations.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Bursting pressure for hoop stress alone on the data supplied is closer to 300 bar.

Please list the equation and units you're using.

Also solid works isn't known for pipe stress analysis?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back