Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bus and large vehicle energy usage breakdowns and source data

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATBradbury

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 18, 2005
I'm currently looking at research and available research on bus energy consumption via wheel and acceleration and aerodynamic resistance, and mitigating solutions to each, as well as power coinsumption relatioinship to bus size and weight as well as duty cycle characteristics. Research also will cover oiptions for lighter materials in windows and also in body and interior componentry, such as use of composites, and available research and suppliers.

If anybody can direct mne to any good data or general info it may be of great help, and is much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a lot of this type data available through the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Find their site and start perusing. I was on one of the committees that did some of the work some years ago. You may have to pay or join to access the information.

A lot of the information you are seeking was done for braking and retardation standard writing but it is still the same information. Braking energy and driving energy are the same thing just applied in a different direction.

rmw

There is drive cycle data at these links:
There are some SAE papers that have more information but you will have to purchase them. Determining torque at the wheels as required during the drive cycle is much more difficult as there is no published data I’ve found. Rolling resistance and aerodynamic information is also nonexistent.

Ed Danzer

Rolling resistance and aerodynamic figures were used in the standards developed by SAE for retarder evaluation. The information wasn't very comprehensive, but they did use it. They also had formulae for vehicle size. Their final result was different from yours because they were trying to determine how much power it took to hold the vehicle back, but rearranging the formulae would produce a result for powering the vehicle.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back