Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bushing selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooldog

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2006
US
If a plastic bushing with an interference fit is pressed into an aluminum tube that will see a temperature variance of -40 to +60C, what kind of material, press fit, and hardness would be necessary to ensure the bushing does not relax due to creep, and become loose at low temp over a product life of 5 years.
The bushing is used only as an axial retainer for a very low mass assembly and sees no appreciable load other than the compressive force of the fit. The temperature extremes will occur over a period of ~hour and will not be cyclical.
Intuition tells me a typical ABS thermoplastic with about a 2X factor of an H7u6 force fit would probably serve the purpose, but I don't have any data to support that and I wonder if a cross-linked thermoset like 90 shore A polyurethane would resist creep (or compression set) better. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used these bearings/bushings in previous designs.

Could you go into a little more detail with regards to its usage.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Hmmm, your description is quite clear, but also what is qty requirement, mfg process, any cost expectation, as well as forementioned usage details.
As a general comment for bushings subject to what could be called side-to-side hammering type impact loads, I found that machined acetal worked v.well compared to other matls - resisted creep and deformation from a ground steel pin. App was low speed & starting friction was not a concern. ~ .37ID & .50OD. Fit in housing was a light interference ( I can't remember details) but it didn't move at least not enough to notice.
Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back