Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bushings soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniele039

Electrical
Jan 12, 2006
DE
Hallo

I´m drawing a Bushing for a Capacitor´s Bank .
Normally these bushing are soldered on the case of the aparatus : what kinds of soldering metals are in use ?

Are there problems with procelain , due to the high temperature ?

Tanks

Daniele

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Thank you for the answer .

I would know what kind of soldering metals are in use , to take a decision for a possible alternative with polymeric insulation .

How high is the melting point of these kinds of soldering mixtures ?

Tank you a lot

Hi. Porcelain is fine for insulation. For a capacitor bank, depending on power and RC of your circuit (resulting in Joules per discharge cycle) and on the environment (cryogenic or room T) one can expect 400-900K rise for 16kA/100mm^2 SN60PB40 solder (melt - 180 C).I am not sure about linearity of its electrical properties, but my advice, in the case you expect T to be higher than 200 C - do not use tin-based solders, many Pb-, Bi-, Ag- etc adds do not improve it - melting is still below 220 C.

Is this an 'electronics' type application or a capacitor bank for use out on the utility network? For an industrial application if 'soldered' connections were required at all then I would expect either brazed or silver soldered joints.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back