Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Class Tray Hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

controlnovice

Electrical
Jul 28, 2004
US
Ok...I know not really aeronautical...but I've been trying google searches and probably not using correct terms to find what I'm looking for.

I'm building some cabinets and on one side, I want to build a tray that, when stowed, fits up against the side of the cabinet. To use it, it would rotate 'down' parallel (in the same plane) with the side of the cabinet 90 deg. Then it would rotate along an axis to fold, or open, into a tray.

I'm thinking this would have to be several hinges, but I'm struggling finding a low profile rotatable hinge.

The best example I can think of is a business class tray that stowes in the armrest area.

Any ideas on what I should be searching for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some description of axes would help. Airline trays have two parallel axes of rotation, both parallel to the floor and tray. Auditorium desktops have two perpendicular axes, both parallel to the floor, but one perpendicular to the tray.

It sounded from your description that you have two perpendicular axes, parallel to the floor and tray.

Note that most cabinet hinges do not allow complete folding of the two surfaces involved. Perhaps start here:
TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Yes...description of axes would help. That's been my problem...I'm horrible trying to find the correct words to describe what I'm looking for.

The Auditorium desktops are an excellent example of what I'd be looking for....

Thanks!

Just found they are called "Tablet Arms"

Thanks for leading me to the right direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back