Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buss Bar feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deetz

Electrical
Nov 19, 2010
US
So they are looking to add more CNC machines to an existing 400 amp Buss Bar over the manufacturing floor. How do you determine how many machines can be on that 400 amp line?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way is measuring the max current consumption on every machine connected, when driving them, then you you know what you have left.
We usually measure that and the total current consumption.
Then you need to determine how much of a chance you are willing to take that all machines wont go with max at the same time. ;-)

Best Regards A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

I would be at about 700 amps. We have 6 Buss Lines, and all of them are overloaded, but have never had an issue. I installed meters on the 480v ones and never read above 300 amps typically. Just wasn't sure if there was a derating calculation for Multiples. I've conveyed my concerns on adding machines all the time, but usually it goes on deaf ears. I guess when the main trips and all the machines on that line crash, they may listen. Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate that.

You could use a current transformer to interlock the start operation for all of the machines if the bus current is above a certain threshold.

I asked for a measurement like that not long ago.
What they measured was peak and average current over a period of time.
Total and for the separate parts.
They did it twice because the consumption was so low they thought it was something wrong with the instrument. [lol]

BR A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Technically, the bus limit is 400A, so you would determine the full load amps of each machine connected and when you get to 400A, you are done.

Realistically, people use what's called a "diversity factor" relating to the actual LOAD on the machines and which of them will be operating at the same time. That is something that nobody can help you with, it has to be determined / observed in your specific installation. So having 700A worth of machinery connected to 400A bus may be acceptable in one place because someone KNEW that the Gachunketta machine was never going to operate at the same time as the Mawhozis machine, and all 14 of the Whizbangers are actually never more than 50% loaded at any one time, etc. etc. etc.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Our maintenance manager knew 2 things
1. 80% of the time our equipment drew a lot less than rated load.
2. If it was possible to overload a line someone would.
So he built a system where machines needed 'permission' to start. Once load on the bus reached a certain level nothing else would turn on. People complained, but they didn't burn out motors, cause whole sections of the plant to shut down, or damage the bus system.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back