Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

butterfly valve construction and cover type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashim lawati

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2018
OM
dear friends

i am working for a client following shell standard, so we use predefined piping classes and all components have a ready data sheet.

in a particular case of a butterfly valve data sheet, it states that type of construction is integral legging extension, and bonnet type is bottom cover. i am not sure what that means and i have some vendors who are deviating from this. i tried googling but could not find any thing useful.

the valve material body is CS and trim is rubber lining / DSS and size is 10"-24".

thanks a lot for your help.
Hashim.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the valve standard - API 609, MSS SP 68, Cat A, B etc? What's the application - utility or process?

GDD
Canada

Lagging is an extension of the value stem ,so the handle can be operated even though the pipe has an insulated jacket (this style used rather than stansard valve).

Link

Hashim,
Are these valves be insulated? If yes, as bimr had pointed out usually there is a 2" extended neck provided for insulation.
As to bonnet type 'bottom cover' I would think the valve bottom will have a bush bearing with a retainer ring and packing ring with a bolted cover supporting the bottom part of the stem.
If your client is buying more of the earlier procured valves, try to get the picture of a bare valve (not insulated). It will explain the body construction.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back