BW FITTINGS - ASME B16.9 - TYPE OF TEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDBC

Petroleum
Oct 6, 2020
FR
Hello everyone,

I received a specification that asks for several mechanical tests to be done on the BW fittings that we would like to purchase (Tensile Tests, Charpy Impact Tests, Hardness Tests).

The fittings will be designed according to ASME B16.9 which says that "Proof tests shall be made as set forth in this standard when the manufacturer chooses proof testing to qualify the fitting design".

If the manufacturer's fittings design have already been proof testing, can I tell the engineering team that the required mechanical test will lead to unnecessary cost ?
Or, am I wrong and it is not because the design of the fitting have been proof testing that other tests should not be conducted?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best,
Fady

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Proof testing is only to qualify the fitting design.

All the other tests (chemical, tensile, charpy, hardness, etc.) are still required for each heat (and heat treat condition, plus possibly other limitations) per the applicable material spec (such as ASTM A234). This testing is normally performed by the fitting manufacturer in order to certify it to the relevant ASTM spec, so it usually won't be an extra cost unless you have nonstandard requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back