Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bystronic bl1500 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjan

Industrial
Aug 1, 2014
ZA
We have a bystronic bl 1500
We bought it second hand thinking we can get it running

It is running DOS and boots up to the CNC Bystronic screen then hangs
We have a PC that we connected via serial and it picks up the laser but then says support needed

I would like to know if diagnostic software is available and if an upgrade to windows can be done

We contacted the Bystronic agent is south africa - they dont return calls and gives us no service.

Can anyone please help - this is very frustrating as no one knows the old dos system

Any advice regarding the dos system will help

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know nothing about Bystronic, worked on only one and it was a Vacuum Leak Issue. But I have worked on a lot of older DOS Systems, so This may or may not help you.

I used to work on old Anorad Systems that would hang up when booting into The Anorad operating enviroment if the CMOS Battery died or if somehow the Bios got reset to defaults. Depending on your computer bios, it can take a while to figure out which setting is hanging you up. for ours it was turning of the shadow cache in the bios. Without knowing your system at all, here is what I would do:

* Reboot your computer and get into the Bios. This is usually by hitting "Del" when Prompted, sometimes "F2", it depends on the Motherboard. If your system doesn't have a normal Keyboard, you may have to get physical access to the computer and plug in an old keyboard. It may need the old Big Keyboard connector.

* Once in the Bios, first check to see that it recognizes your Hard drive, It may have lost the info if Cmos was cleared. Most old bios have a detect Hard Drive Feature. If not, you may have to pull out the hard drive to get the Cylinder,Head,and Sector Info to manually enter it. If it boots up until in bystronics enviroment, probably not this, but make sure anyway.

* Next see if you have Bios Options like "Setup Defaults" etc. try each first maybe you will get lucky.

* Finally, play with the rest. Take picture of each screen so you know where everything started at. Disable The Caches, one at a time. Irq requests, etc.

Good Luck

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

chrisjan, it no possible to change the operation system, Bystronic has kit CPU, computer, keyboard, if you have same hardware problem, but the operation system continue MSDOS.

Hi

Thanks for all the repies - sorry it took so long to answer.

I am attaching pictures of the cpu when we start up

Our main problem is that it only boots occasionally -
when it actually boots is says CNC 90 on the screen
Once when we attached a PC to the serial port it booted and we pressed the INIT button it whent to the job posting screen and froze

Our main problem is that we dont know how the machine works
We have a operator manual and got a technical manual last week
according to the technical manual it says we must boot up the bystronic and then on the connected pc from DOS run a file byonline.exe then setup the serial port
We dont have that file and agents close to us has no clue also bystronic not reply

I see that dos kits are available - where would be the best place to buy
What would bve the best way to check the problem.
Manual talks about resetting ram etc.

Maybe someone can give us a good place to start

Chrisjan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=439620fd-6615-422d-b3f8-1e376764b691&file=WP_20140812_001.jpg
Have you tried to load a job via a floppy disk directly to the machine? I think the computer in the front of the cabenit my be the problem. Sometimes the power supplies go bad. A standard AT power supply can be used but it will not fit in the case without modification.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back