Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bystronic Output Coupler Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

U2tree

Industrial
Mar 4, 2011
US
We have a pair of Bystronic ByStars, circa 2006ish. Having some issue with the optics going bad in the resonator, turns out we have some debris in there and need to purge it pretty well.
One of the techs we spoke to suggested a sensor on the output/end mirror coupler. I'm all for sensors that help me predict when things are on their way out, but at $7 grand a piece, it's a little steep.

Has anyone ever put a sensor on a Bystronic output coupler?

anyone...anyone....
Thanks
brad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you have a Bylaser series resonator, 4.4/5.2? It should already have output/end mirror temperature monitoring, correct?
If so, i would also assume that the suggestion was for output/end mirror break detection.
So... what price would 'you' put on something that would greatly reduce potential damage to other optics, glassware, turbo blower as well as reduce downtime?
Parts required would be precitec sensors, interface boards, optic mounting plates, updated PLC cpu card, updated software ( < from memory)
If your laser is a 6kw, i would definitely be putting them in, as more protection when cutting 1" stainless, or 5/8" Aluminum is always a good thing.
The biggest question i would be asking is where has the debris come from? Has an optic previously blown? If so, have you put cleaning plugs in and ran the turbo blower for good day or so to remove any residual debris?
It may also be time to consider a glassware overhaul if the glassware is becoming discolored and is the source of the debris.
It will cost more (read alot more) but if the laser has been good for 9ish years, new glass, new anodes/cathodes, new optics = just like a new laser again.

Thanks for the info. We have a 5.2 k with Glass Tubes, and the 6k is an RF resonator.
I don't cut hardly any alu, and it's all under 3/8" thick. Water jet is our option for that material because it's available.
Also we don't do over 3/4" SS, again WJ is available and acceptable.

This is predominately coming from the 6k's debris. About 6 months ago we rebuilt 90% of the resonator and cleaned everything, I mean everything. it took a couple weeks. Changed the Turbo (water leak), the main Plate was changed, which required an assembly guy from Switzerland to come over and stay with us for a while... Rene was his name, awesome guy by the way. I agree a lot more is the correct term, if not an "unbelievably obnoxious amount of cash", more...

Since then we've let it go 24 hours with the cleaning plugs in a couple times, sometimes with the grease on the mirrors to collect dust, and every time we do it we keep getting debris on the plugs. Our latest thoughts are a longer cleaning operation, I think that was suggested from one of the techs at Bystronic, maybe as long as a week... if that makes sense. I need to talk more with our Maint guy that has been working this.

Good to know there is more to it than just a simple sensor, somehow it makes me feel better when I know my 7 grand is going to a multitude of parts and software interfaces, and all that. Just feels better i guess.
thanks

If running the cleaning plugs still collects debris, then keep running them.
The question remains, where is the debris coming from? Can you ensure no vacuum leak / no gas contamination from hoses or fittings (on the non vac side)?

My suggestion, run with the plugs (or greased optics using high vac grease, Fomblin Y VAC3 or similar) for 24hrs, then remove the discharge paths and clean them, then apply new grease to plugs/optics and run for another 24hours. Although discharge path cleaning should be done by a tech in the know.

Im actually surprised the Silver Fox (yep, i know Rene) didnt twist your arm to get the monitoring installed.
After spending what i know would be quite an amount of money, you say water leak - was this from the gas cooler which is above the turbo? and change the main plate - only one i can think of is the main aluminum base plate separating the upper and lower resonator <= this? then WOW!!, then the modification kit for mirror monitoring wouldnt be that much extra in the scheme of things(easy to say when its someone elses money!). But ask for a discount, its already emptied your piggy bank so they may be willing to offer something as opposed to paying sticker price.

But in the meantime, keep an eye on the mirror temp differences, once a week, drop laser into hand mode, crank up full power, note down values. It should/may give you an idea if a foreign particle has landed on one of the optics and you then can plan on lighter workload until you get a chance to clean them up.

Happy cutting

Thanks Again for the info, all sounds realistic to do and shouldn't kill us right now.
yes it was the Aluminum Plate between the upper and lower resonator.... I wouldn't recommend paying for that service call out of your personal checkbook.

I'm going to meet with my techs today and feed them your thoughts and see where we go.
I'll keep you posted.
If you're ever in the western NY area and want something to do, let me know... I've got cool toys at work, and cold beer in the fridge...

Thanks

Krug...
We've spoke before, you've given me some Repair tips for both my 5.2k and 6k Bystars. This is a new situation, we didn't talk about the leak in the heat exchanger before, so it sounds like this might be a recurring theme on 6k's.
We're at about 7000 hours of beam on time, Resonator close to 30,000 hours. Machine was installed 2008ish. We did the full clean/plate fix/rebuild earlier this calendar year.

Got two techs here today. Ran a 3000W burn for the last 24 hours to help get the particles out of the system. They will be aligning everything and checking things today. I'll post again when I get more data from them today. Anything specific I should ask or mention while I've got them in there today??

thanks

After the 24 hour burn, we cleaned the optics, Not much of anything on the cleaning plugs.
Put it back together and it seems in good shape. Didn't replace any optics, just cleaned them and hope...

Longer burn might be the key...

Here's what one of my Maint. guys had written in his notebook from the beginning of the problems:

Symptoms

Fault: Excitation module error path 4
Finding: water in the vacuum area of the laser
Caused by 2 possible locations, Resonator plate and the heat exchanger
Vacuum pump full of water

heh, sounds familiar. The 6K seems like it's pretty tough all around, a water leak inside is not good, how it handles an water leak and the repair cost is another story. Bystronic seems to be able to address this w/o huge issues.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back