Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ program for communication to a USB device driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

balutan

Electrical
Oct 3, 2005
US
I got this piece of digitizer that is connected to the PC via USB. I would like to be able to change settings and stream data from this digitizer when need. I have the user manual which defines the registers of this digitizer and I also have the custom driver installed. SO there is no need to write device driver. However, I simply don't know to write commands to be sent to this digitizer's device driver (assuming the device driver will take care of the rest).

I read Jan Axelson's USB complete book. I think I have a decent understand of how USB works, but I am just not sure how to write C++ prgema to change settings and stream data from t (or where to start). Wonder if someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

balutan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you looked in SourceForge for something along those lines?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Best to go to the manufacturer for a bit of sample code - there's a million and one ways they could have set it up so only they (or someone else that has done it - see IRstuff's suggestion) will know for sure. The fact that you mention "registers" immediately suggests to me that their method is non-standard. The standard USB terminology is "reports" and "transfers".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back