Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C02 emissions from vessels using EPA's empirical relation

Status
Not open for further replies.

buoy

Marine/Ocean
Feb 18, 2011
US
I am trying to calculate the daily C02 emissions from a ship following this EPA report. Table 5-1 lists the C02 emission rate to be 44.1/(Fractional Load) + 648.6 in units of g/(kW-hr). Here are my questions,

1) What does the kW in the units represent? The ship engine's power output? My colleague has asked me to convert the units to kG/(Metric tons of fuel) per day. Multiplying by 24 will convert from hours to days, but how do I convert between kW and metric tons of fuel?
2) Are units of g/(kW-hr) standard for ship emissions?
3) For a container ship, Table 5-2 gives a cruising "load factor" of 80. I believe this means that the "fractional load" in the equation is 0.8 which gives 704 g/(kW-h) rather than 80 which gives 649 g/(kW-h). Is that correct (the report isn't clear)?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"but how do I convert between kW and metric tons of fuel?"

??? energy density

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Gen set manufacturers specify gallons of fuel consumption per KiloWattHour at several loadings. (Fuel density is specified.) This varies from engine to engine depending on the efficiency of the engine.
You may find something that you can use if you check the engine manufacturers specs.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back