Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CA Geotechnical Engineering Exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoengineer24

Civil/Environmental
Dec 21, 2021
US
Can anyone provide help as to how you studied for this exam? I have over 15 years of experience and have failed the exam 3 times now. The exam is extremely poorly written; it's very subjective and there are always two correct answers. There is no book to study off of; most of the exam questions you can only answer based on experience. There's a reason why only 20% pass every year. Also, I feel like they take the top 20% every year no matter what your % is. The very vague results of deficient, proficient and marginal categories does absolutely nothing to help you for next time around.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The exam is crafted and presented to a group of volunteers selected by peers and the Board of Registration. This group reviews and refines the content based on the scope of work a geotechnical engineer will be working in. This group works to remove ambiguities and/or trick questions, yet includes questions that may appear to be odd (figure out estimated consolidation settlement of a new building adjacent to an existing building based on the existing building settlement performance from date of construction). You had to used this info to solve for consolidation parameters to solve the settlement questions for the new building.

After taking the exam the first time (and not passing), I categorized the questions to various aspects of geotechnical practice. Once I did that, I started reviewing the questions that I could recall and worked out solutions listing assumptions and references. This also got me to review some of the reference materials and indexing each with tabs for quick access. As example, if I was to solve a seepage problem, I pulled Cedergren's book and could quickly find a variety of subjects and examples. Where I did not feel the reference provided in a book was complete, I'd add additional supporting information/references in the margins of the topics that could guide me to further information. Doing this turned into a fairly comprehensive review of materials, as well as helped me reemphasize basic soil mechanic relationships that are occasionally used so I did not waste time looking up relatively simple information.

I rented a room in Sacramento and spent the two days before the exam re-reviewing and working on solving problems.

Finally, figure out how you take tests. If like me you've been away from academia for a spell, you have to re-hone your test taking skills. My approach was to go down the list of questions until I found one I knew I the answer to, answered it, and repeated the process. Got my brain into a focused, quick, successful, problem solving mode. Then it was wash, rinse and repeat, so to speak!

Hope this is helpful.

I admittedly don't know anything about the CA Geotechnical Exam, but in general, you have a qualification (Geotechnical PE) that is quite rare, and is only given out by people who hold that qualification. Do the math.
And no one wants unqualified Geotechnical Engineers. You could have a 58 story building that tilts. thread815-490007 Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back