Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

caapcitors anad inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaskii

Electrical
Jul 14, 2001
IN
What is the real usage or purpose of a capacitor or a
inductor in electrical network?.I expect a explanations
on the basis of electron flow

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Think of them this way-

Capacitors try to keep the voltage constant
Inductor try to keep the current constant

By combining the two one can make filters, and oscillators.

Capacitors and inductors both are used to store energy in their respecitve ways so that all of that stored energy can be retrieved. To simplfy (I hope):

Capacitors store energy by acquiring a charge called Q for which a capacitance C will yield a voltage V. The relationship between them is Q = C x V for which the stored energy is ½ x C x V².

Inductors store energy by acquiring a current flow I for which the product of voltage V and time T equals the inductance L times the current I. The stored energy in an inductor is ½ x L x I².

In the absense of resistive energy loss, an inductance and a capacitance connected together can transfer some quantity of stored energy back and forth between themselves over and over again. The number of times per second that this happens is called their resonant frequency.

Good luck.

John Dunn
ambertec@ieee.org

To simplify what John Dunn said:
The cap stores the energy as electrical, the inductor as
magnetic field.

When the voltage/current ends, the voltage/current is restored from the energy stored in the field until the field collapses.

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Consider an AC and a DC signal. A DC signal is basically a 0 frequency AC signal. A capacitor blocks a DC component and allows AC to flow. An inductor allows DC to flow and blocks AC. For example a decoupling capacitor will allow any noise to be grounded, while still allowing to DC component to flow. And noise is comprised of many many frequencies. The way a filter works is by allowing certain frequencies to be grounded and allowing certain ones to flow through. the combination of value of inductors, capacitors and resistors determine your cutoff frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back