Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cabin conversion DHC8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afarr

Aerospace
Sep 30, 2015
MT
Out of curiosity has anyone ever thought of interchanging the interior of a DHC 8-100 with that of DHC8-300series?

Is it a straight forward conversion of interior panels/overhead bins... or does it imply structural work to be performed to accommodate the 300 in the 100 cabin.

Would highly appreciate your feedback on this.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you want to upgrade your S100 cabin. i'd've thought it was possible ... the two planes are very similar, but one big hassle will be the interfaces between the interior panels and the fuselage.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

It is a cabin upgrade of the 100 series using the 300 interior.

Have you, @rb1957, performed the change? - Any tips to follow?

I have cross-checked both fuselage datums & reference points outlined in the AMM - the only physical difference are the fuselage extension (for the 300), a slightly wider emergency exit (on the 100) and the Galley service door located aft (for the 300). Here I agree with you - both aircrafts are very similar.

At the moment I do not have access to the aircraft so I cannot inspect the interior structure. Is the interference related to size or mechanical fittings - how did you overcome this?

Looking forward to your feedback :)

yes, the type IIIs are in different places, but maybe you can maybe "plug and play", mix and match pieces. The fuselage and the window pitching is mostly (?) unchanged, but I suspect that by the time you have the panels lining up with the windows, you will probably be missing the frames (or at a minimum need new frames pick-ups).

The aft service door (S300) interior panels May fit the S100 ... the door may be the same size (really ? what's the chance) the fuselage is probably similar (though the S300 fuselage is starting to go "pear shaped".

A S200 interior is obviously much closer to a S100.

No I haven't done this, not in my nightmares, but I have worked on -8s for about 30 years !

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Thanks once again for your input - very much appreciated

I am starting to believe that it might be possible (on paper) to accomplish however there might be some spaces to fill between the side wall panels as you mentioned - haven't gone into the details of the overhead bins yet :/

So far I have transposed the S300 onto the S100 fuselage - some windows to line up

I did some research and there is a conversion kit for the S100 using the Q400 interior. - although our target is to use the S300 interior.

Have you ever heard of anyone trying to accomplish such a conversion (S300 to S100)?

@rb1957: I managed to group the sidewall panels on the 300 and 100. I can see that in theory it is possible to exchange panels - still need to investigate what is lying between the panels and a/c structure.

@SAITAETGrad: Have you got a website - I can follow?. - thanks for the offer however, we are an approved DOA in EU.

Wouldn't mind to exchange contacts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back