Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable tie mounting base material (Aircraft installation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marood

Aerospace
Jul 21, 2011
CA
I work in the Aerospace industy as a mechanical designer. I am curently working on a camera installation on the highest point of the aircraft's vertical stabilzer (business jet). This camera has a heater for its window. The installation of the heater harness will be tied down. For the cable tie mounting base I am looking at the part number FTH-15-01-2, material nylon 66 (RMS-01). I am searching for a datasheet on this material as I require the lowest working temperature of the material (the highest altitude of aircraft is 51,000 ft, reaching a low temperature of -80 deg C). I searched the internet but I did not find this information. I searched other posts on ENG-TIPS. I read posts stating nylon 66 is brittle at -40 deg C but i need documented inforamtion. I believe the FTH-15-01-2 will not work for the servie life of the aircraft. I need to prove the material nylon 66 is not an appropriate material for this application so I can suggest another design. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Almost any plastic will be brittle at -80C but that doesn't mean it will fail. Polystyrene is brittle at room temperature and widely used anyway. The question is whether it will be subjected to impact at -80C. In that case you have a problem.

Chris DeArmitt PhD
President - Phantom Plastics LLC

Trusted adviser to leading companies around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back