CAD Collaboration tool 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulator

Specifier/Regulator
Apr 13, 2005
CA
Hi All,

I work for a government organization - we are assessing a new technology that enables online collaboration with 3D and 2D CAD files (from any CAD program). Users log onto a secure website where 3D images and animations can be uploaded. Users can rotate, disasseble and assemble the components, zoom-in and out, mark-up the drawing and talk (VOIP) and text message. All of this occurs in real-time.

I can provide a more detailed description if needed (please just ask)....

From this description - can anyone provide any comments on the need for this techinology in product engineering or manufacturing environments? Also what features/specifications are important to engineers with respest to online collaboration technologies?

Thanks for your help and time,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As for the need for the technology: for the future of manufacturing I believe it is a neccessity. I think the future of cost effective manufacturing will depend on interactive design.

The biggest obstacle is also the feature/spec that is most important to engineering departments that attempt to work this way: Standardization

There is no established standard to CAD modeling, there are few file formats (dxf, step, iges) that work well on all software systems. To accomplish this in todays worlds most collaborative designs require common software to be effective.

Another highly important feature is security, encryption, validation (who made the change, when, why, with what permission).

Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

From the small business world, it would be very helpful. I've recently started using a couple of features from programs such as Alibre and SolidWorks that allow you to see what others are seeing online. It has been EXTREMELY helpful in some cases to basically say, "see this right here?"

Many small businesses (one-man shops) are teaming up to be a collective of small businesses that are capable of handling large projects (sorry, I don't like the word "synergy"). In some cases, we're located across the country and without the financial resources to travel on a whim. Small businesses certainly can't afford major video-teleconferencing centers and the state-of-the-art computer-based video is often not good enough. The capabilities about which you speak would be excellent.

Garland E. Borowski, PE

I also forgot to mention -- that I will be trying to get design egineering and manufacturing engineers to pilot/test the product --- any advice on how to get these types of players involved? Any one out there interested?

I have a small group that would likely be interested. One small business in Oregon, one in California, one in Pennsylvania, and I'm in Alabama. I could also likely pull a small business in Florida and one in Mississippi. Not sure how much time any of us would have, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. We have done a variety of R&D projects from various branches of the US armed forces (NASA, Navy, Army) and are currently pretty slow. Feel free to contact me at 251-232-3723 or 251-661-6205...this assumes that you are in the US.

Garland E. Borowski, PE

We have a similar system where I work, it is hugely useful.

It is our primary means of discussing the design. One example is that the CAD data is linked to a problem database, so we can right click on a part and it creates a form to fill in.

If I were you I would spend a lot of time making the dimensioning system bulletproof and easy to use.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

From my standpoint in the industrial/manufacturing area, such a program would be highly useful. The ability to preview and provide input on the design models decreases overall launch time for a project.

I agree with both aamoroso and GregLocock on their comments for model standard(s), security administration and for dimensioning/detailing the model. At one of my previous places of employment, we looked at using a "viewer" for production purposes that would show animations of the assembly procedure. Unfortunately every time we wanted to go outside the "canned" demo, things began falling apart. You will have a challenge in accommodating the potential complexities of models used.

Some questions:

Is the technology targeted primarily for mechanical design collaboration or is it flexible enough to include electrical/materials/optical/chemical etc. modeling as well?

Do you envision the capability to link to indirect sources of information such as test result files, cost quotations, quality data etc.?

What type of analysis/reports could be mined/generated from this?

What user operating or server systems might be supported and how powerful should those systems potentially be?

Good luck and regards,

I agree with the above posts and think it's a great idea whose time has come. From my perspective, the ability to interogate the model is of high importance, as well as security to protect proprietary information.

I actually run Alibre Design at home for any business that I personally do. I chose it because of its online collaboration capabilities out-of-the-box. Easy and secure. Makes those design reviews a much easier experience rather than having to drive all over. And, it allows me to work nationally from my own home.

modulator, you're saying that you have a technology that reads any CAD file? That would be amazing!

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back