Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cad data import from catia to abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameprak

Automotive
Mar 13, 2007
DE
Hello everybody,

What is the better file format to import in to abaqus from catia. Apart from .igs, .step, i can see catia v5 elysium neutral(.enf). But, i dont know how to export .enf file from catia.(not available in save as)

Any informations to be taken care while exporting, importing or modelling in catia.

Any help would be nice.

Thank you,

cameprak

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks johnhors.

But, i dont have access to this plugin.

Another question, I imported my part model using igs and step file. It says, invalid part. I get lot of red dots initially and when i try to repair yellow dots. I tried with simple cube and ribs model. same problem again. What is this problem exactly and how to resolve it. Is it tolerance difference between catia and abaqus.

Same file is imported in to hypermesh with out any problem and meshed. But, i must do it using CAE.

Thanks in advance.

Prakash

Hi,

Once again thanks xerf. It works fine. But as i explained same problem occurs. Invalid part. Tried with repair tools. But even i dont understand what is the error since model looks fine

Hope someone could explain. Is it normal to do meshing in CAE. How do you overcome this invalid part problem. I found it difficult compared to medina. Problem start right away with the import!!

Any help would be nice.

cameprak

Like a lot of times with CAD import (from any source) the answer is "it depends".

It depends on a lot of things...

One common issue that causes invalid models is overlapping (duplicate) entities in the geometry. You can try "convert to precise" (Part - Tools - Geometry Repair...)

I think you should try first to import a very simple CATIA part. Let's say a base part,without any aditionat feature.

From CATIA save it as: *.model and see if you can import it and mesh it in ABAQUS/CAE

hi,

brep,

i tried convert to precise option.It keeps running for more than 2 hrs. Anyway, i try again when i have more time.

Xerf,

Simple catia parts works fine. Catia file is better than other file formats for complex parts. I tried to repair the errors. Nothing works out. finally, i deleted all edges where i got red dotmarks when i import. Then, i could mesh. No analysis warning and mesh warning in mesh check. analysis runs fine. It seems they r redundent entities.

Thanks to both of you.

After doing mesh, i want to delete some elements and create manually. Is it possible? This high aspect ratio element is created, because of small edges in the model. Any idea?

cameprak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back