Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD designer with wrist & forearm pain seeking new career 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesigner

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2002
US
I've worked for the last nine years as a CAD designer. Two years ago, I completed a Bachelor's Degree in Career and Technical Education and a year after that, I started having wrist pain. I tried several different mice and ergonomic setups but nothing helped much and the pain has now spread into my forearm and shoulder. I've seen several doctors, been to therapy and do daily stretches and ice, but nothing has helped and the pain is now starting to interrupt activities outside of work.

New study - wrist pain/mouse usage

I want to get away from using the mouse 8+ hours a day but I'm not sure what type of careers are available to someone with my background and education. I have thought of trying teaching/training but don't know how much mousing that would involve - probably some, but hopefully much less than I currently do. I've also thought of getting a Master's Degree in something (possibly education), but I'm not sure what.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other areas - consulting, etc. or does know anything about the teaching/training field?

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You give little information as to your additional skill sets. Could you move to doing more hands on construction of your designs? I have found designing and doing construction of the designs more enjoyable than doing either one only. Working on finish assembly of a complex project can be the best design education if you listen to the other peoples ideas of how to make the design better. I have come to hate some of my designs when assembling them, but the next iteration is usu***y much better.

You have what sounds like, RSI, or Repetitive Strain Injury. Typists commonly get it too. I believe that if you work for a company then your employer has to take reasonable steps to ensure your health and safety, that includes RSI. See If they haven't then you may be able to claim damages, if you want.

A quick look at web sites seem to give plenty of ways to avoid it: None, however, seem to suggest the simple solution that stopping the repetitive action will eventually cure it. I would ask your doctor at what level of activity would be acceptable for the injury to eventually go away.

Having been on many technical courses I've noticed that the lecturer never touches the keyboard, so it sounds an ideal career change for you. I would ask at the local education authority on career opportunities. I know that in the UK they are desperate for teachers and openly advertise for people to change careers and go into teaching, particulary in technical/engineering subjects.

corus

gesigner,
I too had similar symptoms after working constantly with a mouse - I decided it got to the point of doing something about it when I dropped a full bottle of wine cos I couldn't grip properly!
I was diagnosed with RSI and had two operations to release the sheath around the tendon into my thumb. It ultimately was a complete sucess and I am back using a mouse although I am far more aware of taking breaks.
With regards to the employers responsibility to health and safety corus is perfectly correct, they should ensure both adequate training in the best work practices and the need for regular rest breaks. If they did not do this you may well have a case (I managed to proove negligence against the company I worked for and won damages)however if you were warned and didn't follow correct practice then I am afraid that avenue will not be open to you.
If you are in the UK you could do a PGCE (Post graduate certificate in education) that would allow you to work throughout the education system. Failing that you could apply to higher education einstitutions only. I am not sure of the situation outside UK.
Aslo you could try and work for some of the training companies or the institutes where education of both employers and employees is of prime importance.
Hope this helps
Parsnip
[smarty]

gedesigner

Let me know what you decide to do as your story is similar to my own!
I am in a way fortunate that I can use my left hand for mouse operations now that I have pain in my right arm and shoulder, although this could prove costly if both arms become painful.

I am wary of venturing into teaching as my wife has recently switched careers and started to teach and she must work at least 50hrs per week!! There is stacks of planning to do and lots of chew from know-it-all parents!! (primary school).

Sorry to hear you're having the same trouble - it can be really frustrating. I also put this in the AutoCAD area and there are some interesting comments/suggestions there. Yeah, I guess there could be unpleasant things that go along with teaching; I suppose it depends on where, what age, etc. you teach or train.

gesigner,

I ran into this same problem a couple of years ago. I also had the same concerns. The one thing that saved me was to get an optical mouse. With an optical mouse I can use the mouse on any surface and I am not straining my wrist trying to keep it on the mouse pad.

This may sound silly, but it worked for me.

Switch hands.

It took me about 3 days to get used to it, and rather longer to get adept.

It also has the advantage that other people find it dfficult to use my PC, and in AutoCAD I could mouse left handed while typing right handed.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Yes!! I did that too. Killed my right hand doing a lot of graphics work on a summer job in 1996. Started over with the left hand and a new awareness of ergonomics and when to stop & take a break. To this day I can't mouse right-handed for very long (like if I'm at someone else's computer).

Left-handed mousing is a little more annoying for word-processing because many of the control keys are left-handed, but that's okay.

Sounds like gesigner's ready for a career change anyway, but there's almost nothing white-collar that doesn't involve a fair amount of computer work, and switching hands can help.

Hg

I am another one that votes for switching hands. I did it when a while ago because my primary hand was causing me pain. I didn't like that so I quit doing what was causing me pain. Switching to the left side also had the added benefit of being able to type with the right at the same time, as Greg states. kinda cool I guess.

Many times it's just not the pointing device you are using, there are other culprits. Take a look at your whole work environment.

Monitor
Your monitor should be in a position that allows you to not have to bend your neck to view it, meaning not too high, not too low. It shoud also be arms length away. Have the screen tilted so it is perpendicular to your line of sight (unless surrounding glare is a problem).

Chair
You should sit fully "into" your chair. I notice many people like to sit on the edge of the chair, this puts a strain on your back and neck. Your thighs should be parallel to the floor, with your shins perdendicular to the floor. If they are not, then you are sitting too low or high.

Posture
Type with your forearms parallel or slightly angled up to the keyboard. Don't hunch over your keyboard. Keep your shoulders square, back straight, etc.

As to pointing devices, I've moved entirely away from the mouse, and have gone to a Logitect Marble Mouse (not a typical trackball). Now I don't have to drag my whole arm around the desktop. When I move the pointer, only my fingers do any work. I hghly recommend them.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back