Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD software for metal stamping company

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiagoFigueiredo

Industrial
May 22, 2013
PT
Hello,
I need some help from all of you.

I'm, with some friends, creating a new company, where we will develop metal stamping tooling (progressive and transfer dies). We are evaluating the needed softwares, and the most proper ones from our job.
Today in the company that we all still work, we use NX and CATIA (I'm a CATIA user). But as far as we have noticed, CATIA and NX are truly expensive softwares, and we need to ponder what to use for our new company.

What we are evaluating.
For simulation we had chosen autoform (that's closed)

For cad we have several possible solutions.
CATIA -> Not much probable, due to price
NX -> Not much probable, due to price
Creo -> interesting choice, but there is some lacks. To create metal stamping layouts, determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts, there is not enough good tools. But for modeling and general surfacing, looks really powerful. Price looks reasonable.
Cimatron -> Very nice to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. For 3d modeling there is plenty of libraries for metal stamping tools, But we don't know much about their capabilities to Draw. Price we still don't know.
ZW3D ->Very nice to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. Interesting modeling options. Very low market share. Really interesting price
VISI ->Very good to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. Interesting morphing capabilities to prevent spring back. Looks good also in surfacing and in general preparation of parts surfaces. It doesn't work with individual parts, it's parametric philosophy it's to limited. Price we still don't know.
SolidWorks -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.
SolidEdge -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.
Autodesk Inventor -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.

Looking to our resarch, there is not a software that can provides a powerful choice for every area that we will need. So we are open to have 2 softwares for diferent needs.

For example:
Visi + Cre
Visi + Cimatron.

What do you know about these softwares, and their capabilities for this type of work?
Do you know any other softwares that can fulfill our needs?

Thanks

Tiago Figueiredo
Tooling Engineer

Youtube channel:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use Cimatron for complex parts unfolding. I believe it's FTI. FTI has really nice tools inside Cimatron.
Regarding drafting in Cimatron, well it's OK. I haven't worked with Cimatron for a while. You said you want to develop. Is it only design or also manufacturing?

Regards,
Jenia Ladkov

JeniaL

Do you use Cimatron for tooling design, or only for parts unfold?
I heard that Cimatron, in this area is good, but also in 3D design, because has with it, the 3d design of most standard part used in tooling design. That's quite powerfull. I don't know how it behaves in general modeling. But my eyes kept those standards... I don't know yet it's price.
Regarding parts unfolding and springback compensation, I heard, (and I read a lot in internet), that Visi from Vero, is even more powerfull.

Ferdo - From what I saw, those 3dExperience packages, don't have great modules inside it. For example, for big needs in terms of parametrization, it lacks a lot, there is no Knowledge adviser. For example:link parameters to choose a component in a design table, create validation checks, create some programming in parts and assemblies... In cloud I realised that's a bit slower compared to on premise version. I easily, create designs with over of 3000 components.

Thanks.

Tiago Figueiredo
Tooling Engineer

Youtube channel:

I used Cimatron in the past for design (generally tools for composites). In general modelling Cimatron behaves not bad at all. Within new version they have synchronous modelling tools (I want them in Catia [dazed]). Regarding spring-back compensation we don't have a license for that, but I used several times spring-back deform feature. Looks impressive. Regarding Catia if you look for precise flat patterns then I think you will need external tools that are quite expensive. Google for FTI.

Visi looks nice btw.

Regards,
Jenia Ladkov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back