Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cad system Cost???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman1964

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2009
US
I'm having a meeting tomorrow to see if we can get our maintenance back for SE. I have been in contact with our vendor and got very nice quote to get back going.

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for tomorrow meeting. I need some information. Does anyone know what a new seat, plus maintenance, per year cost (US$$)for Inventor and Solid Works??

I know the cost for SE if starting from scratch is $5,500 per seat plus $1500 per year maintenance

Solid Edge V20

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't just look at the cost of the software.

Look at the costs of redoing or translating work already done in SE.

The re-training costs.

The lost productivity when using a new system.

Take a look at thread724-223361 for more ideas.

For SW our maintenance appears to be about $7770 for 6 seats but not all of those are floating and I con't know what extras that covers and it was a couple of years ago etc.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Trust me KENAT, I'm just not looking at cost of new software alone. I have a whole list of items. I just was hoping some of you had cost associated with these programs. Cause i know they'll ask that question tomorrow.

Solid Edge V20

Maintenance is generally 25% of the initial cost for a single year, but if you go for a 3-year deal it should reduce to 20%/year, and I think that's probably about standard for most main-stream CAD.
I was once told that bringing an old version of SE up to date would cost the appropriate number of years maintenance.
So if you are 4 years out of date it's no different to buying new.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Thanks all for your stuff

Thankfully upper management approved our maintenance for Solid Edge. I didn't even need cost for other systems. Once they found out how much it will cost if we waited, they approved it. Luckily we didn't have to pay back maintenance for the last 6 months.

But now i can get back to the SE news groups, i wouldn't forget about you pep's. I found this sight very go avenue for information.

Solid Edge V20

I envy you, cadman. I lost access to the SE newsgroups since my client/employer didn't renew their maintenance. There are a few really knowledgeable people here, but there's just more activity over there.

Well for one thing, there were many threads that were discussions rather than questions. I found them interesting and useful, as they contained advice on good SE practices, and helped me get better knowledge of the software. Even the rants gave me some insight on the software's shortcomings and ways to get around them.

Best of both worlds is having both resources available, the UGS forums and here at Eng-tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back