Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cadmium Bloom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blnorman

Materials
Oct 26, 2009
US
I've received a couple of electronic connectors. There is what appears to be corrosion on the outside (elemental analysis shows much higher carbon content than "non-corroded" areas). Customer wants to know if it's cadmium bloom. Internet search stated that cadmium in contact with organic acids with exhibit this condition. My question, what does cadmium bloom look like, and how would I know from and elemental analysis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at zinc bloom. The metals are almost identical in their chemistry and corrosion behavior. Many organizations still prefer cadmium despite the environmental and occupational health concerns, but, for most purposes zinc and cadmium are used based on customer preference.

I recently talked to a California electroplater who told me that customers were still using cadmium, and they supplied it only when the customer insisted.

There's still a market, even though the efforts (based on my personal experience which only goes back to the 1970s) to replace cadmium have been underway ever since the US organized the Federal EPA around 1969.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back