Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cadmium plated bolt vs Sodium Hypochlorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GogiBOB

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2011
CA
Hi,
I am trying to find if Cadmium plated bolt can be used in the environment where sodium hypochlorite presents.
I can't find any information regarding Cadmium's corrosion resistance on web. Every website states that Cadmium finishing has excellent corrosion resistance but there is no detail information.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cadmium itself has lousy corrosion resistance. An electroplated cadmium layer on steel parts can provide corrosion resistance to the underlying steel when exposed to atmospheric and light marine environments.

Cadmium plated bolts don't last long in exterior environments. Their use should be restricted to protected indoor locations. Cadmium plated bolts are the cheap option. Galvanized bolts will last a long time, but for sodium hypochlorite, stainless steel is the better option.

moon,

I don't know about photofinishing, but sodium hypochlorite is used in water supply sanitation, liquid pool chlorine, household bleach, etc. Most of us just call it chlorine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back