Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAESAR II rules of thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitalis77

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2006
GR
Hi everybody,
I've recently participated in CAESAR II 5-day seminar in which I got a general idea of its use and potentials. As far as I saw the modeling set up is easy to follow but after that the restrains assessment introdused a lot of queries. Since the seminar's small duration for such a demanding software did not manage to answer to the above mentioned queries, are there any rules of thumb, common practises, field refined guadelines for the restrain set up of a pipeline.
Thanks in advance and I hope to find some companion in my journey through stress analysis.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vitalis77,

The CAESARII seminar is a great start for stress analysis. An understanding of the ASME B31 piping codes will also go hand in hand with understanding the features and capabilities of the software, since it applies much of the logic and provisions of the piping codes.
Now you need to learn how piping designers attempt to route piping to connect to equipment, use available or designated structural supports for pipe runs, all while trying to meet requirements for adequate supports, sufficient flexibility, complying with allowable loads on equipment, meeting process requirements of flow with slope /no pockets / pipe size for velocity, and then the plant maintenance requirements for accessibility of valves and instruments, and the list goes on. These all will affect the geometry of the piping, which CAESARII can do the stress analysis for you. The stress analysis results will help in the selection of more complex supports and piping restraints to deal with weight loads, movements that result from thermal expansion, and the results of other loads like wind, seismic events, waterhammer, pressure pulsation, mechanical vibration, hydrotest, etc. After more experience with the stress analysis results the selection and location of piping restraints will be more appropriate for similar pipng designs. There will be less recycle of revised geometry and restraint selections as one anticpates the effects of different restraints for anchor, guide, and axial stop, and spring hangers.
All this would apply for above ground piping. If you are interested in the buried piping analysis, then there are other concerns and constraints that are unique to design of underground piping. Look to piping designers for rules of thumb. The CAESARII stress analysis will check the results from the use of the rules of thumb.

vitalis....

You state:

"Thanks in advance and I hope to find some companion in my journey through stress analysis"

Have you talked with Patricia Laughheed ?

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back