Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caesar pipe to vessel modelling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortmceng

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2008
CA
Hi !

I am trying to learn how to model piping in Caesar to be able to connect it to a vessel nozzle. I am familiar with creating and analyzing simple piping models. What I want to do is include vessel with pipe and let the software calculate displacement for the vessel connection. Is there any tutorial available online. One with example showing piping input fields would be helpful.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a special forum for detailed Caesar questions.

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

The Caesar-II Applications manual has a solved example of this specific type of problem.

You did, of course, receive the three reference manuals when you paid for the program....right ?

-MJC

MJCronin: I am using my company's software to learn in my free time. I would look for the manual in the library. Do those manual have solved examples. Do you know which part or chapter it may be covered under.

BigInch: I guess I posted the question under wrong forum. Could you send me a link for Caesar forum.

Thanks for taking time in replying to this thread.

Upper Left
"Subscribe to Forums"
"Computer Programs"
"General Engineering Programs"

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

Hello fortmceng

You should also read ALL the COADE Caesar II Newsletters. These newsletters were written for several years but nobody has time to write them anymore - however the existing newsletters are to be found in Adobe Acrobat format at:

We usually model the vessel as just a large pipe (or series of large pipes if the diameter changes) and take it to the nozzle. Remember that the model is a beam model and it is representing the vessel and the pipe as centerlines. One useful "trick" is to model out from the vessel centerline to the outside diameter of the vessel using a "rigid" element. Then from the vessel OD to the nozzle flange as a pipe of the appropriate diameter and wall thickness. We attach the nozzle to the process pipe at the flange using a "cnode" (make the connecting stiffnesses (translational and rotational) rigid by describing the "cnode" as an "anchor"). This will not really place an anchor at the connecting point but rather it will make all the connecting stiffnesses very rigid. Then from that point on you modle your piping in the normal way that you know.

Remember that most vessels do not have a uniform temperature from bottom to top so you must model enough nodes in the vessel to be able to change the temperatures from bottom to top (or for a horizontal vessel, from end to end). So you have to ask the process engineer for the temperature profile of the vessel. It would be best (as stated above) to real the Users' Manual, the Applications Guide and the Technical Reference Manual.

Regards, John

The CAESAR II Manuals are available on-line, installed with the software. Just pull down the "Help" menu and select "On-Line Documentation".

Richard Ay
COADE, Inc.

I was able to use documents given under the help menu to model vessel. It is a great feature given in the software. Would it be possible for anyone on this forum to post an input file (.c2) for a simple vessel model. Just wanted to see if I have learned it correctly.

Thanks in advance

fortmceng

I HOPE you are also using some of your free time to study the theory of piping stress analysis and to study the Codes and Standards that govern piping design. It is one thing to learn this excellent software but you must understand WHY things are done the way they are in piping engineering.

This discussion board has a very valuable "SEARCH" facility that allows you to look at all the similar questions that have been asked before. You might search for "piping stress analysis" and similar topics.

Regards, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back