Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calcium Chloride for Stablization

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBrit

Civil/Environmental
Dec 7, 2006
Do anyone have any experience with using Calcium Chloride to stabilize a gravel road. I have a Client who want to prevent rutting in their access road but cannot pave it. I found a few web site on the subject but nothing substantial.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no experience, but I happened to notice (when curious about another inquiry regarding calcium chloride on another engineering forum) the site at that claimed some form of CaCl in another road application was allegedly damaging "thousands" of trees, and may also have "disoriented" some kind of finches, making them "roadkill" (I guess when they pecked at the stuff wanting gizzard grit!!) Some concentrations of this as a concrete admixture have reportedly also resulted in corrosion of e.g. steel reinforcement. Other sites of course may more stress the alleged positives!

My local County uses mag chloride to solidify their gravel road surfaces. They have over 600 miles and use surface stabilization on about 1/3 of their roads. It makes a huge difference on limiting deterioration of the road surface, which substantially cuts down on road maintenance during the summer.

If your client can afford mag/calcium chloride, it will more than likely serve its purpose.

The environmental impacts have been debated, and your Client may want to research this.

Back about 1955 I was on a field trip in central New York State and a county highway dept bragged about their stabilization of gravel roads using ordinary salt, sodium chloride. The roads looked fine.

It was then promoted by the Ag Engineering Dept at Cornell U., Ithaca, NY

Depending on where you are, paper mills have a waste product, lignin ? that has been used also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back