Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calcuim Build up in sump pump & pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesatt

Geotechnical
May 4, 2004
US
Over the years I have worked on a number of houses that were constructed on top of crushed concrete. In some cases they have continuing problem with build up of calcium in the sump pump and pipes. We have measured the ph in the water in these sumps and found it to be about 8.5 to 9. Normal in our area is average 7.4. We assummed that it precipates out of the water when exposed to CO2. Does any know of a low maintance system or additive that could be used to help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am from Oil industry but we suffer scale aswell, for what its worth here is my two pence worth.

Calcium ions in the water combines with CO2 and precipitates as calcium carbonate scale.

The equilibrium between the ionic dissolved calcium ions and the calcium carbonate scale depends on pH.

The more alkaline the more scale is formed hence why at 9 you have more than at 7.

You can add anti-scale chemicals, there are many different types but they all will have running costs - contact a chemical supplier such as NALCO, Champion, etc..

The CO2 that you mentioned is actually dissolved in the ground water. When the ground water is exposed to the atmosphere, the CO2 is released, raising the pH of the water and allowing the calcium to precipitate from solution.

There is nothing that you can do, Perioidic cleaning with a dilute acid will wash it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back