Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate center of gravity for model submerged in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarB

Mechanical
May 30, 2002
NO
How could I calculate center of gravity for my model submerged in water? Has maybe someone created a Pro/TOOLKIT they would share with me. I'm using Pro/E release 2000i2.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do not give enough information to give a complete answer but consider the following. A cube of steel in air has a centre of gravity which proe will give you. put that solid cube in water and its center of gravity will not change. The problem you possibly face is an irregular shape with irregular sealed voids dispersed about it. The sealed areas cause boyancy hence affecting the centre of gravity?

As you say it is no problem with a cube of steel, but we have a model with irregular shape. And in addition there is different materials(aluminium and steel), including bouyancy materials to make the model neutral in water. My first thought was to reduce the density by 1 kg per dm2, but Pro/E does not allow negative density (for the bouyancy). As I can see it a Toolkit with input for density for the liquid it would be submerged into could solve my problem. Regards Gunnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back