Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate pin in double shear with repetitive impact or vibrational loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateconn

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2011
US
I'm looking through my Shigley's Machine Design text and I don't see anything specifically for a pin in double shear that has to endure repetitive loading/impact loading. Not sure exactly what it would be called.

The pin is not tight, think of it like a quick release pin from the image below. There is some small clearance between the OD of the pin and the ID of the holes. So I don't think I can calculate it as a simple alternating sheer stress fatigue life. As when the load is being applied then reversed, the pin slams into the other side of the hole.

pin_in_double_shear_diagram_rouwex.jpg

Is there a way to estimate the life of the pin in this situation? Or is there a spot in Shigley's I should be referring to. I've looked through Chapter 6 (Fatigue Failure Resulting from Variable Loading) but I don't see anything that covers impact.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A cyclic reversing load condition in a clevis/pin joint having radial clearance like you describe can get ugly in a hurry. It only takes a small amount of radial clearance to produce large dynamic impact forces at the pin/clevis bore contacts. This loading condition will quickly produce fretting damage to both the pin body and clevis bore surfaces. As the fretting damage to the contact surfaces accumulates, the radial clearance increases, and the failure process becomes self-perpetuating.

I don't think there is any reliable method to predict fatigue life with the joint arrangement and loading conditions you describe, since the failure mode will likely be due to fretting. The best approach would be to re-design your joint to have a proper shear fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back