Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate the wind load for the design of a roof beam in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petras Surna

Structural
Jan 9, 2017
AU
I am wondering how to calculate the wind load for the design of a roof beam in a house in the USA.
I am aware of ASCE 7. I understand this is the general loading code used throughout the US.

In Australia we have a simplified wind code that is not as intimidating called Wind Load for Housing It's a cut down user-friendly version of the wind code.
Is there a similar code for the US?

Also, a publication or website that steps through how to calculate the wind load for a beginner (me!) would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this shall get you start. Note the calculation was based on ASCE7-10. The current ASCE7-16 may contain some changes, but shouldn't be revolutionary. Link

Petras Surna
Ignore retired13’s link. That is a reference to main wind forces that don’t apply to C&C (components and cladding) wind that should apply to a single rafter.

ASCE 7 does offer a standard, and a simple option for C&C wind. I can’t do a search right now but do a search for “simple C&C wind”.

I see, so a ridge beam, roof beam and rafters are "components" in ASCE then. That's good to know.

Searching for "asce simple C&C wind" leads to which is software.
I am after the manual calculations as I want to understand how it's done.

I also found this which says:

"The simplified procedure is for building with a simple diaphragm, roof slope less than 10 degrees"

I definitely need roof slopes greater than this.
If I have to use the "analytical procedure" because there is nothing else that's fine.
Though a worked example for a component would be great :)

petras,

You are a lucky guy, one request, two competing offers with similar content. Anyway, hope these example calculations help to get your feet into the sometimes confusion US wind load provisions. Sorry that I don't know how to pick and chose provisions without offer provisions for main wind force, which forms the base.

Yes I am lucky.
Have to say the going looks tough, just like the Australian code.
So much jargon to take in!!

But the information is there I think.

Here is a complete instruction on "Components and Cladding" wind load provisions and examples. Please make sure your roof beam is covered under this category (explained inside). Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back