Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CALCULATE VOLUME IN CIVIL 3D FROM A TOPOGRAPHIC LEVEL SURVEY AND A FINISH LEVEL AUTOCAD DRAWING

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakpilgrim

Civil/Environmental
Mar 28, 2017
BH
Hello Forum,
I have just started using Civil 3D and I am a novice
I would like to calculate the volume of excavation from an existing ground level survey and a finish level AutoCAD drawing. The finish level AutoCAD drawing is not a single base level but is a large site with various required foundations at different levels.
Please advise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Civil 3D go to the Analyze tab and select the Volumes Dashboard. You'll need to create a new Volume Surface, set the Base Surface (your existing ground, typically) and Comparison Surface (Finished Grade or Subgrade surface), and apply any cut/fill factors (if known; see Help for details). Your earthwork volumes will show in the Volumes Dashboard. Set the Volume Surface to automatically rebuild if you want it to update dynamically with surface changes.

#

Hello Pinwards,

Thankyou for your response.

I am basically familiar with the volumes dashboard. From my limited knowledge it did appear that only a base reference datum could be entered against the comparison level survey information, or another surface.

I was hoping that it would be possible to adapt the information in the foundations AutoCAD level drawing automatically for a direct comparison and to obtain volumes. The foundations AutoCAD design drawing, in this case, is quite complicated with multiple foundations of different sizes and different levels. I was hoping to find a method of avoiding having to enter this information manually, which would be extremely time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back