Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calculating deflection in SCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterdesign

Structural
Nov 3, 2023
US
I looked for a thread on this but didn't see anything. If this has already been discussed, please kindly post a link.

Just noticing this in TJ-9000:

1_nmk2ck.png

I use excel spreadsheets to calculate my beams. Does anyone have a reference for calculating bending + shear deflection for other loading conditions (point loads, partial uniform loads, cantilevers, multi-span)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a couple ways to approach this. If you want the quick, easy, but not always 'correct' way, you can approximate the contribution for shear deflection by multiplying the member Modulus by 0.95. This is generally a good approach for uniformally loaded members, but can cause incorrect calculations for shear deflection when members have multiple or large point loads.

Keep in mind what causes shear deflection isn't the magnitude of the shear itself, but the differential of shear across the area in question.

Don Bender has a research paper that discusses a bit of the derivation and how to approach, I'll include a photo below of how to find it.
shearDeflection_tip2dg.png

This text on Timoshenko Beam Theory covers most loading conditions: Link
The tricky part may be determining what the shear area is for the SCL, you could likely back into a possible solution using the manufacturers listed equation.

I just assume I am about 10% off in my results if I ignore the shear deflection in the calcs.
I never design anywhere near the the bottom of the deflection barrel anyway so it does not really matter.
Time is money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back