Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating friction force plain thrust/journal bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatuhiva

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2019
NL
Hey there!

We are looking into the options for a large plain thrust/journal bearing. This bearing will need to resist axial, radial and bending loads. As of now, we are starting on some basic calculations in order to see if this is even possible.

The main thing we are concerned about is the amount of force required in order to turn the bearing. In a simpler situation with only one force acting on the bearing, let us say axial. It would only be a matter of a friction coëficciënt and the amount of force to get an idea how much force is needed to overcome the static friction. If we combine the radial force it gets a bit more difficult and when adding the bending moment I am lost.

I've started with calculating the maximum stress by using Sigma=(M * Y)/I. But this does not tell me anything about the total bearing friction force. I've added a picture of the load case and I am hoping some of you can send me in the right direction. I've also been trying to figure it out using Solidworks Simulation but sadly no luck.

hope some of you could help!

Kind regards,
Vatuhiva

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9223dd10-3d8e-4971-9eec-5ce0800d0438&file=Knipsel.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back