Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating how much a electric a electromagnet requires

Status
Not open for further replies.

circular

Civil/Environmental
May 24, 2006
GB
I need to work out how much a power a certain electromagnet requires.

I apologise for my ignorance before i proceed and appreciate any help.

I have the following information:

9 x 1 inch magnet

with an iron-core coil with a current magnetic induction field of approximately 2 Tesla

I specifically want to know how much electrical power such an electromagnet requires in 1 minute of use.

Is this possible to answer with this information?
If not what other information is needed for a possible calculation to be performed?

Thank you for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the amp draw and voltage of your magnet. Assuming DC the power is than V*I. Otherwise you have provided not nearly enough information to answer your question.

Mike

Hello,
Please correct me if I'm wrong, or maybe I should verify first before answering but I'm not at my desk (ok, I'll have to wing it).

If you have the volume of the solenoid and the generated field level at center, can you calculate the total energy required to obtain the field in that volume. Assuming a single conductor at first and then believing everything is ideal condition. Low carbon steel as core? This may get you in the ball park but with out specifics then it really is just a guess.

As mentioned, E and I values, also Turn value of coil could help in place of E & I. Inductance would be helpful too if Properties of core is not exactly known. Just to say the more you can tell us the closer we can get to the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back