Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculating new cooling system for new pick up with swapped engine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohsen662

Industrial
Jul 1, 2012
US
hi everybody,
our company has been working in new project about swapping a pick up platform to make a new product with new specified components like engine, gearbox and ...
in development steps of this project we had to choose a new electrical fan and it's engine system but the point is that the radiator itself is for old pick up because we couldn't layout new engine cooling system in our pick up body and chassis because of some geometrical and other problems.
we have some information about old and new engine radiator and their air flow speed and flow rate and heat transfer.
my question is how can we calculate new cooling system according to what I say about those information that we have and some data that we dont know?
we prefer to have some theorical documents before we send our new modified pick up to hot room test for infoing our studies.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By the description of your project you need to have a proficient automotive drivetrain engineer on staff, or your project will likely fail. An automotive drivetrain engineer will know how to deal with cooling system evaluation and sizing, or will at least be able to educate him- or herself independently as needed.
If you are able to post more specific questions we might be able to help you better.

"Schiefgehen will, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

hi there.

I am sure that many of us here would love to help you,but we need a bit more information to work with.

size of engine,est hp,weight of truck,type of fuel....

bundle it up and lets have a look.

M6

If you "have some information about old and new engine radiator and their air flow speed and flow rate and heat transfer" - then what is the problem?

If you have this information then it ought to be easy to assess if the existing radiator is big enough for whatever it is that you are doing - which you haven't stated, so it's impossible to give an opinion on.

If the new engine is smaller/less powerful than the biggest engine that came as original equipment in that vehicle (usually the radiator is the same regardless of engine! - not always, but usually) then there is no problem.

If the engine is bigger than the biggest thing that came in that vehicle then maybe there is a problem, but surely any automotive hot-rod shop that deals with that particular engine ought to know what radiator to use with it.

Hi,
I think the volume of engine shouldn't cause that we make a mistake.
We have some laboratory result about testing two engine radiator.
I just point one of them because our old pickup (whit 2000cc engine volume) radiator (which we use that)
Have 51 kW heat transfer at water flow 80 lit/min and air velocity 8 m/s.
But our new engine according to it's volume (whit 1700cc engine volume) expects a
Radiator with 66 kW heat transfer in mentioned condition (these expectations have been
Released in lab results).
I should add that the old and new engine had a fan with clutch mechanism.
But in new product we change the mechanism with electrical actuator mechanism.
We have a constant ratio of air flow in our new product in comparison of
Previous engine fan actuator mechanism.
Now our worry is that would this electrical fan mechanism witch we choose passed
Our product test and would be appropriate selection?
(Our new fan has 2750 ft/min air flow velocity ~ 13.96 m/s)

Thanks

Despite the language barrier and the sparsity of information provided, it appears that your new engine will have no warranty coverage unless you fit a larger radiator.

The big virtue of electric radiator fans is that you can switch them off at highway speed, where vehicle motion provides sufficient airflow.

... whereas, if the vehicle hardly ever reaches highway speed, the usual thermostatically modulated 'clutch' on an engine- driven fan may be a better choice than leaving the electric fan on all of the time.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

My guess would be that the old rad would work if this new engine is at least as efficient as the old engine you're replacing. Now, that's assuming you're just driving this truck around. The truck still requires the same power to accelerate it and keep it moving at constant highway speeds. Use the same power accelerating and highway driving with as good an efficiency engine and you won't have more heat to get rid of.

Now, if you're adding a bunch of extra power with this new engine then you'll need more rad if you expect to fully use that power. You never specified the differences between these engines.

You need 1.3X more cooling and you're adding 1.75X the airflow to the old rad. You might get there. The problem is that increasing airflow above a certain level has diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back