Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Phase shifts of componets (capacitors & inductors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

does anyone know the formula to to calculate the phase shifts over capacitors and inductors? to be used in a computer program.

we know the values of components, type, frequency and current through each component. but NOT the voltage.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: Using any of the following transforms:
1. Laplace transform
2. Fourier Transform
3. Z-transform
4. Hilbert transform
5. Etc.
to describe the model circuit in the frequency domain and then invert it to the time domain where it will show a phase shift, if it exists.
Voltages are:
1. capacitor Vc=(1/C) x Integral from 0 to T of Ic dt + Vco
2. inductor Vind=L x (di/dt)
3. resistor Vr=I x R
Note: Initial conditions of elements should not be overlooked.

This is we call the frequency domain analysis. It calculate similar to the resistor network but the capacitor and inductor are consider as a complex resistance or call it impedence. If you just talking about idea capactior or inductor, the phase angle will be 90degree different on sine wave. The main problem is in a network with some resistors, capacitors and inductors....

You need to know any waveform has the equvalence to a series of sine wave with different frequency and phase angle. If your waveform is not perfect, The calculation will has error. The easy understanding example is square wave. By matematics, a square wave contain a lot of component with different frequency. If you just consider it is a simple sine wave the calculation will not work.

Also, the capacitor and inductor in high frequency need to consider the resistant on it.

I suggest you read a basic circuit textbook. It is easy to calculate.

I hope it help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back