Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculating press lines in forming sheet metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasinka

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2013
US
Hello, just wondering what are some commands/tools available in NX10 for this task, I never had to do this before.

I have fairly complicated sheet of geometry, it is half a cylinder, and it has some cone shape to it (not uniform) it also has local smooth pockets and hills.

I will have to break the surfaces into 6 pieces of flat 5'x 4' sheets that will be formed to shape and than welded together to give me full sheet/surface 10'x 12'.

My task is define the pressline/location for each sheet be formed to correct shape.
FOr example. if it was a perfect half a cylinder, I would press is 3' apart parallel lines and that would give me close enough, with 4" stock on there after machining I would have perfect round cylinder. But because my shape is complicated my press lines will not be parallel.

I basically need to enclose a 0" thickness surface, with a 3" thickness solids that have less geometry variance so that they can be pressed to rough shape. and I have to find press lines location to get them formed to the desired shape.

Its the end of long Monday, I am not sure if I make any sense. [banghead]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back