Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculating productivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

aficionadonuevo

Industrial
Jun 6, 2006

A company has set standards: 0,15789 ton/minute equivalent to 6,359 minutes/ton.

One day the results were:
Tons produced: 228
Minutes worked: 1020

The production manager says: “Great day!” “Our tons/minute was 228 tons / 1020 mins, resulting in 0,22359 ton/minute. That is a dazzling 41,6% better than our standard!”

The assistant looks at him and says: “Sorry, but we were not THAT good.” “We produced 228 tons which gave us – 228 tons times 6,359 minutes per ton – about 1450 minutes to do it. We did it in 1020 minutes. The difference is 430 minutes saved against a base of the allowed 1450 minutes, only 29,6% better. Sorry….”

Who is right?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They both are.

The math is correct in both cases, allowing for the slight divergence in the two numbers provided in the standard.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks Ahereng.

The Production Manager would say: "I am right anyway - even with your calculation - because 1450 divided by 1020 = 141,6%."

Yes the math is correct in both cases, but who is right in the end?

Both are correct.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Productivity is usallly measured such that 100% is the target, greater than 100% exceeds the target and less that 100% falls below the target. Whether you measure t/min or min, the answer is the same:
- 0.22353 t/min / 0.15789 t /min = 141%
- 1450 min / 1020 min = 141%

Who cares how many tonnes you produced.

How many orders have been fulfilled / How many tonnes you sold - now thats a number that would be worth seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back