Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating the Lateral Capacity of a pile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

western2000ca

Civil/Environmental
Jan 28, 2004
CA
How difficult is it to calculate the lateral capacity of a pile by hand using the elastic solution? What would be a good book that shows how the elastic solution is arrived at (i.e. what assumptions are made, what are its limitations...etc.).

Secondly, how closely does the elastic solution methold compare to results using Brom's method.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is not that hard to calculate it. "Foundation Design" by W.C. Teng, 1962 shows the equations from Hetenyi for free head and fixed head pier/pile that is laterally loaded. Included are equations for lateral deflection and bending moment with depth. It is neat.

Never compared the Brom's method with elastic method, so not sure about accuracy. Since Teng's book is rather hard to find, why not try Muni Budhu's foundations and earth retaining structures book. He has a free software that will calculate using his method. I checked his against Teng's 1969 method & they are very close.

PEinc

I owned this book for many years but only saw this page just recently! It is hard to find page.

Try page 272. Correct, it is 1962-I believe it is the only edition.

Fixed Earth,

How closely would the results obtained by using the equations in Teng's book compare with the results obtained using a program such as LPile?

Thanks

western2000ca;

Not sure of those two comparisons. However, one one job I had last year, I did the Teng cohesive method (1969) which is not in his 1962 book & I had a required embedment of 14.2 ft. So we built the piers to 14.5 ft.

Then the client requested a finite element analysis as a presentation document and the requied embedment of the FEA analysis showed 14.1 ft. After that, I never questioned Teng's method. I have probably used his method on over dozen jobs in the past 3 years.

I used them for 18" diameter pier embedded 14.5 ft into very stiff clay. Not on piles yet. The only thing with Teng method is you don't get the lateral defelction at the ground surface directly. Comparing it with Budhu and Davies method (1986), I was able to determine that Teng deflection is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. However the FEA showed deflection was only 0.2 inch.

PEinc;

That page is using Hetenyi's elastic method. It is based on horizontal subgrade modulus. Correct, it will give deflection values but it is not the Teng approcah.

If you go there is POLEFDN worksheet by Tomanovich. That spreadsheet has the 1969 method that I use.

Alternatively, if you take an equivalent square beam and support horizontally by vertical subgrade modulus but load it with (cohesion / width) you will get darn close to actual deflection curve. So say, k = 130 pci and loading of (1,000 psf/1.33*0.001 kip/lb) gives deflection of 0.14 inch. In addition you can get the point of fixity and maximum moment.

Buy L-Pile. It's worth the investment if you do much with deep foundations. I think AASHTO Roads and Bridges has some methods hand calculations of lateral loads.

The most popular elastic method is Chang's method. This method uses linear subgrade modulus. Up to now, Japanese use this method to determine lateral capacity of pile corresponding to certain lateral deflection at pile head, say 1/4 ". You can find this method in most foundation text books.
Compare to LPile, this method is conservative. This can be understood since LPile adopts non-linear p-y curves in its analysis.
I did analysis for steel pipe pile of 600 mm diameter using both methods, and the allowable lateral capacities corresponding to 1/4" deflection (fixed head) are as follows:
- Chang's method : 11.5 tons
- Lpile : 14 tons
Broms method is for calculating ultimate lateral capacity of pile. Using this method Lateral deflection is unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back