calculating the mass & volume of section of a part/assembly model in solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypusimon

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2023
FR
Hi all,

I have a part I made on Solidworks and am trying to calculate the volume and mass of only a section of it. I've created a section view of it, starting from the bottom and going upwards towards 1/5 (eventually I would like to measure it for different lengths 1/4, 1/3 etc...). My goal is to determine the mass and volume of this section so I can calculate how much it represents, especially the MCI. So far, by using the "Mass Properties" tool, I can only get the values for the total mass and volume of the entire part instead of only the section. Would anyone know how to calculate the mass and volume of a section in Solidworks?
Also, I would like to do this with an assembly.

Many thanks in advance. This would truly save my life with my work if someone has a solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way you could do it is to create a cutting feature (i.e. extruded or revolve cut) in the assembly that is shaped so that it cuts out everything that you don't want. Then the mass properties will give you the info for what is left.

So if it's an assembly, can I obtain the mass, volume & MCI of the section cut of the assembly by doing the same technique as for the part? Sorry, just trying to make sure I understand,because I urgently need to figure this out and only have a small time span to produce results

Hi, Platyusimon:

You can cut either the assembly or parts (components). You will have more control if you cut the components.

Just do what you say and you will get accurate volume and mass.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi,

I'm realising a big issue. If I cut the assembly, to only obtain the section I wish to study and obtain the MCI from. I'm not getting the mass of the isolated sections, but the whole mass of all the components its composed of.
I manually assigned masses to each component. When I cut the assembly, lets say in half, I don't get half its mass, but still all the mass, because the components selected don't give the volume mass adequate. What can I do?

Possibly saving the cut assembly as a STEP file then opening it up in SW will give you what you want. You will have to set the materials though.

Hi, Platypusimon:

What is that section that you try to get volume and mass? Is it liquid? You can model the section which will give you volume and mass.

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back