Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculating the temperature of material entering a steel screw conveyor based on down stream temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnvEng591

Civil/Environmental
Sep 6, 2017
US
I have temperature readings from thermocouple at the midpoint of a screw conveyor moving dried solids from a rotary dryer. How can I use the available temperature data to calculate the temperature of the material entering the screw conveyor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Three questions:

1. Are you asking about the system operating under steady-state conditions, or for transient conditions, such as startup from ambient temperature?

2. How long does it take for the dried solids to move the full length of the screw conveyor?

3. What is the mass flow rate of the screw conveyor?

[idea]
[r2d2]

Without some idea of the heat loss through the first half of the conveyor, I don't think you really can. You could put a temporary thermocouple at the beginning of the conveyor and attempt to derive a relationship that includes SlideRuleEra's points, but at that point you might as well make it a permanent thermocouple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back