Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculation of gas viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotw

Mechanical
May 25, 2013
CA
Hi all,

I would like to ask for a reference (basic formula) to obtain the viscosity (the one in Cp unit) of gases (mixtures are composed of Hydrocarbons and non-HC such N2, H2, etc. any of which could be given at any percentage).
It does not need to be precise, a +/- 10% will do. So by lowering the bare as for accuracy , I would have hoped there could be some "magic" formula. To push the "effrontery"....pressures may also go quite high (high means can be tens of Mbar).

So far I consulted the methods available on the API TDB. I am exploring that.
However any hint to a further reference (for calculation or to educate myself on the topic) will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

textbooks as The Properties of Gases and Liquids (Poling, Prausnitz..) include chapters discussing this topic with application examples...

Crane TP 410 has a couple graphs for gases and vapors.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

The attachment may be of value as a reference since it is to assist in figuring out gas viscosities of hydrocarbons. Only the front page is presented as there are a total of five pages interspersed with advertisement. There are possibly updated articles in the Chem. Eng. periodicals since the one on hand is dated 2003. Contact the publishing co. for copies.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fcacd3bd-b651-42b3-a5b8-aa351544c7ac&file=reverse_engineering_of_gases.jpg
Hi, thanks to all of you for the help.
I am also studying the document referred to by chicopee. Appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back