Calculation of the filler metal consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamidinho

Petroleum
Nov 29, 2022
DZ
Greetings to all,

So there is this issue that i'm trying to deal with in a project for a tank storage and it's about calculating the amount of filler metal consumables needed for the project. I've done some searches and i found a=this formula :
W = A * Rho * L * 1/E
Where :
W is the weld metal in (g)
A is the cross sectional area of the weld joint (cm2)
Rho is the density of the base metal (g/cm3)
L is the length of the welding joint (cm)
E is the deposition efficiency of the welding process (ex : for SMAW 0.55)

The cross sectional area of the weld depend on the type of joint and from what i've found :
For V butt welding : A = R*T + (T-F)2*tanO/2 +20 % for renforcement
For fillet weld : A = (a*b)/2

So my issue is on the last point; for fillet welding i only have the thickness of the plates joined i don't know if it is correct to take the value of the thickness for a and b or not. If it's wrong do u guys have any formula to calculate the weld size in a fillet weld from the thickness of the plates joined ?

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll need to find out what weld sizes are being used for the fillet welds and go from there. It's possible that the weld size is related to the plate thickness, but it also may not be.

The calculated area of a fillet weld will be less than the actual area.

For concave welds the dimension is based on the narrow part (if I recall correctly, the throat) and not how far the legs reach; all the weld material is outside that triangle.

For convex welds there is material in the bulged portion that is also outside the triangle.

The values for the sizes are on the drawings in order to tell the welder and the weld inspector how big the welds are supposed to be. Also of note, weld sizes on drawings are assumed to be the minimum - typically welders are rewarded by the amount of inches, so they have a motive to use as little as possible and meet the drawing; manufacturers also are motivated to use the minimum.

This doesn't mean that you cannot have a welder really build up material far above the requirement - have seen the work by one. Solid, defect free, 3X the amount of material required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back