Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculation software for ASME VIII Appendix 13 pressure vessels ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesey

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2002
NO
Hi,
Anybody know of or have experience with calculation software for ASME VIII appendix 13 pressure vessels - vessels of non-circular cross section ??
Specifically we have some air coolers with a rectangular section headerbox, with dividing plates that we would like to control ?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply. On checking the website out, one of our mechanical engineers informed me that we actually have bought a copy of PVElite but doesn't reckon it can calculate appendix 13 vessels without having a load of supplementary hand calculations as well. I presume from the name of the program that PVElite is a 'cheaper' version of codecalc ? Do you know if PVElite can calculate directly, non-circular vessels ?

jonesey-

Actually, PVElite is the upgrade from CodeCalc! Working from memory, open up PVE, one of the left pull down menus gives an option for something like "component" input. This is the link from PVE to CodeCalc and it's here that you'll find the App 13 calc's.

jt

I seem to remember last year I had the same issue. I think I called CodeCalc and they told me that their program at that release date would not calculate non-circular components yet but I think they told me that the next version would address this issue. I had to calculate the non-circular vessel and compnents by hand in accordance with App. 13. Let me know if you need some help with the calculations. Email me direct if you need more help.

Thanks,

LV

Dear bsme3

The non-circular appendix 13 has been part of the CodeCalc (and PV Elite) program for years. I do not know who you spoke with. If you need help use support@coade.com address.

As jte pointed out CodeCalc is included within PV Elite. I will explain the difference between the 2 programs.

CodeCalc is the component level program. For example you will design shell, nozzle, tubesheet etc. It also includes other items that do not fit well in PV Elite such as Fitness for Service (API RP 579) module.

PV Elite is an integrated vessel program. The whole vessel or exchanger can be built and you get the complete graphic. It has advanced wind/seismic capability over CodeCalc and more design codes.

CodeCalc is available both as a separate stand alone and is also included within PV Elite. You can also do single component in PV Elite, but it is easier in CodeCalc.

I hope this helps.
Mandeep Singh

I work for COADE and I recognize that this forum is not a platform for advertising software. I wish to abide by this principle. We recognize that users will use software that suits their needs and it may not be our software. However, I must respond to a comment made by Isthill.

Isthill made a statement that is patently incorrect. He stated that CodeCalc is “is not technical correct (sic)”. We are very disappointed with Isthill. He has not had the good grace to state where the program is not technically correct. We have benchmarked CodeCalc against examples given in ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1 Appendix L and elsewhere in the code. We have also benchmarked CodeCalc against hand/MathCAD calculations. But, if we come across any problems we address them immediately.

Mr. Isthill uses the forum as a platform to advertise his favorite software. We do not have any problem with it. However, he should not criticize other software on the basis of his personal prejudice, without providing evidence.

I work for Codeware and I agree with Mandeep. Everyone is entitled to their personal opinions and preferences. But unsubstantiated claims should not be made in public forums. If any software can be shown to be incorrect it is best for all parties, and for public safety, to bring it to the attention of the publisher.

I for one don't put much merit into anything Isthill types and his claim here just supports the reason.

I have both Coade and Codeware software available to me at work and both are excellent for their purposes.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back