Calculator bit the dust..... 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

knelli

Structural
Oct 17, 2006
US
Hi all,
I am on my third TI-85 and the display is failing :(. I looked at other TI models including the TI-83, TI-84 Plus C SE and TI-89 Titanium. I was able to emulate those models on my phone to see if I'd like them. I still prefer the TI-85, and really want something that does conversions easily. I found the conversion programs on the above models to be cumbersome.

What I would like a calculator to do:
I like a large display and history (like TI-85)
trig and scientific functions
x^2 button square root
^ button so I can do whatever root I need (like x^(1/4))
Conversions, including ft^2 to acre and gal to ft^3 (love the conv menu on the TI-85)
solve quadratic/simultaneous equations easily

It would be nice to have something to do decimal to fraction or add feet and inches and give answer in fraction form.

Should I get an old TI-86? Do they have better longevity than the TI-85?

I do like the RealCalc app for android. Anyone know if it is based on a calculator model?

Anyone have the TI36x Pro? CANON F-792SGA? Looks like the TI36x pro conversions are very limited.

I know a lot of you like the HP with RPN, but I'm not looking to go that route.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I loved, loved, loved my TI-85, and when its screen bit the dust, I tried to find exactly what you're describing. Seems it doesn't exist anymore (or didn't, 3 years ago). Now, I just use my TI-30xs from my PE days, and it works just fine: it has pretty much everything you're asking for, minus the conversions and function solving. I love how easily it switches decimals to fractions. I don't do much eq solving and I got a free conversion app (or I GASP do it by hand!).

If you find one that you like, let us know!

Real engineers only use RPN :>
I recently went back to an HP11C after the new HP's have gotten too fancy.
Hard to to beat it.

My recommendation is to begin and end your search with the HP35s, as shown here.

It is the simplest RPN calculator currently made and it's the only RPN calculator allowed in the FE/PE/SE exams. You can even hit a button to covert it to a tradition "algebraic" calculator for people who prefer that. To be clear, there are three makes of calculators allowed in the exams so you don't have to have that one for the exam, I'm just saying that it's the only one allowed that's RPN.

As for the difference between RPN and the other type...RPN saves keystrokes, is easier to use, is faster and more powerful...in my opinion. Hey, with this calculator you can't go wrong: you can try RPN and if you don't like it simply switch the mode to the traditional algebraic.

Yes, it has two registers while I prefer only one (like EE above, apparently). But if you want one of the older models that has only one they go for $200 or so on ebay, last I checked. For the $150 price difference I can live with the second (annoying) register.

Casio FX-115ES PLUS is my vote. It's usable for the FE, PE, and SE and has both battery and solar power with a reasonable display size and a nice keypad.

I like a large display and history (like TI-85) ---- Yep
trig and scientific functions ---- Yep
x^2 button square root ---- Yep
^ button so I can do whatever root I need (like x^(1/4)) ---- Yep
Conversions, including ft^2 to acre and gal to ft^3 (love the conv menu on the TI-85) ---- Nope. It has some basic conversions but they're mostly imperial to metric
solve quadratic/simultaneous equations easily ---- Somewhat basic

It would be nice to have something to do decimal to fraction or add feet and inches and give answer in fraction form. ---- It will do decimal to fractions but I don't believe it will do feet-inches.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

Seems like in this day and age, having all those functions on a calculator just makes it more cumbersome. I can see needing it for a PE test, but if I want to do a conversion, I can just type it into Google. HP11c is about as simple as it gets.
RPN is def. faster. Time is money!

I just dug in and saw that my TI-30xs can in fact solve functions. Who knew! And with none of that RPN silliness. (ducks for cover)

plain jane casio fx-991MS here. It can do cubic equations if you've reduced them. I don't need more than this thing. If I do I just write an excel or mathcad sheet to solve it

Archie264,

The HP 33s is also permitted on the PE/SE test.

I would agree that the HP 35s is a very functional calculator and it also has algebraic input, should a person desire such a feature.

Myself, I use an HP 41CV made in 1985 and still running strong.

It is sad that you can't buy something equiv. to an 10c, !!c or 15C anymore. I know HP re-introduced a limited run of 15C's a few years back, but they were made in the China and the keyboards were reportedly not very good. Now they are super expensive on ebay.
Funny how they keep producing the 12C financial calc, however.

HP 45, HP 41C, HP 41CV, HP 32SII, HP 15C, HP 12C and HP 33S....all work except the 45...but I'm getting the batteries fixed for it too. Also have an HP41CV app on my phone and an HP 35 (original, not 35s) emulator on my laptop.

ExcelEngineering...for the financial calculators, I've never found anything close to the 12C...that's why they still produce them.

Anyone get the idea I like RPN?

One might ask why I have so many calculators. One would have to see my office to understand.....there are things in my files, boxes and stacks that get lost for years, only to re-surface. I once found one of my HP 32SII's closed up in a 3 ring binder on a bookshelf.....2 years after I had replaced it with another. Am currently looking for my 41C...probably in a box somewhere! Probably next to my slide rule.

My slide rule is normally closer than my calculator

20140513_152115.jpg

Understand RPN did I never. :)

I'll second TehMightEngineers recommendation for the Casio fx-115 series. I used to have a TI-85 with a lot of programs, but then had to get used to a cheapo calculator for the PE & SE. I got so used to it, I never went back to the 85.

I am still humping an old fx-115 myself that I bought from the student store in college. Solar / battery powered.. haven't even bought batteries ever! Made in China, designed in Japan.

who woulda thunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back