Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calibration of Turbine Flow meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdulraheem

Electrical
Jan 7, 2008
IN
We have installed a turbine type flow meter for measuring the Nautral gas flow. Its range is 11840 cu.m/hr and the pipe size is 8 inches, make fluid control. I want to know the calibration procedure. Also i want to the equipments requried for the calibration. we had send this instrument for external calibration, that company say that they only calibrate by simulating the frequency. But we want the actual calibration i.e. bench calibration. where do i get the correct information
please reply to abdulraheem88@hotmail.com

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi Abdulraheem

you may be knowing that flow is directly proportional to square of differential pressure
you can use pitot tube or anubar to measure the flow this will definately give clear idea .as this measurement is cannot be done on twest bench but you can install this measurement near the flow meter to crosscheck the reading.

good day

A turbine meter is a device that gives a pulse (fequency) per a given amount of gas at a given pressure and temperature ( expressed in scfm or scfh, etc.) To measure this you will need a frequency counter. However, if you are not running at the meter design conditions you will need to compensate for pressure and temperature variences. This is usually done with a flow computer and for natureal gas an AGA4 curve should be used. There are many manufactures of this item ( Kessler Ellis comes to mind)
Good luck. Natural gas has a unique compressability factor.

To do it correct there is only one way of doing it: Take it out and sent it to a company who can verify calibration of these kind of meters: f.i. NMI, The Netherlands, CEESI (USA), Sierra Instruments (USA), NIST (USA), Intromet (Netherlands), PTB (Germany)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back